Of late I have been creating many pillow covers using felt and the applique method. I have written up how I did one of them, so that you will know how it was done. Please realize that I used the same basic method for each of them. So this is how I made the felt applique Turkey for a pillow.
15” x15” square of 100% cotton muslin (preshrunk)
Felt (colors, dark brown, beige, orange, dark red, and dark green, yellow, @ $.25 each sheet)
DMC floss, #’s 608, 815,725, 3341, 3371 (+/-$.50 each skein)
2- 10 mm wiggly eyes
This is a picture of my craft foam original turkey.
I color and black and white, copied it using my printer. Then I cut out all the pieces I would need as pattern pieces to cut out the felt.
I cut the base and the feet out of the dark brown felt. I cut the body out of the beige felt. The word “thanks” and the bow tie were cut out of the dark green felt. Some of the feathers were cut out of the orange felt, and the rest of the feathers and the waddle out of the dark red felt. I cut the beak out of the yellow felt. I put them all together to make sure they fit.
I centered the dk. brown base on the muslin square. Using the dark brown floss and used the blanket stitch to attach the felt base to the cloth.
I ended up doing the word “thanks” twice. Both time I used the running stitch to outline each of the letters of the word, but the first time, I used dark green floss that matched the felt. Big mistake, you couldn’t see the stitches and so couldn’t read the word. So I redid it with a lighter color of the same shade of green. I used a little satin stitch to fill in the hole in the capital letter A. Now you can read the word.
Next, I attached the beige body again using the blanket stitch, using a nice, light brown floss. This is the one color that I don’t have a number for. Sorry about that.
Then I attached each of the feathers, using dark red floss on the dark red feathers and orange floss on the orange feathers. I attached each feather with a blanket stitch and using a back stitch to draw the veins on the feathers.
The blanket stitch was used to attach the beak with yellow floss, the green tie with the green floss, and the waddle with the dark red floss.
Last but not least I glued the eyes to the face just above the beak. Done! I think it looks better than the original.
These pillows were made using the same basic method, creating a pattern from a picture, cutting out the felt and using embroidry stitches to attach them to the pillow front. Lots of fun! Enjoy!